Catalan cuisine, which is typically Mediterranean, is based on natural seasonal produce.
Olive oil, vegetables, fruit, fresh fish and seafood , cod, pulses, pork in all its variety, many differrent cakes, and a wide selection of high quality wines and caves, these are the basic ingredients of our diet.
What to order in our catalan restaurants:
– Catalan mixed salad
– Escalivada: Grilled peppers and aubergines
– Esqueixada: shredded salt cod marinated in oil and vinegar with tomatoes, onions and red peppers.
– Escudella: vegetal and meat soup
– Espinacas a la Catalana. Spinach with raisins and pine kernels
– Jamón Serrano ( tradicional Spanish Ham, usually served with Bread and tomato
– Pan con tomate
– Sopa de pescado . Fish soup
– Bacalao a la “llauna”. Salt cod baked in tomato, garlic, parsley paprika, wine
– Fideua. Similar to paella, but with vermicelli
– Arroz Negro. Rice with cuttlefish
– Sepia con albóndigas . Cuttlefish with meatballs
– Suquet de peix . Fish, potato and tomato soup
– Zarzuela. Mixed seafood stew
– Botifarra catalana. Catalan sausage
– Botifarra amb seques. Kind haricot beans of sausage with garlic-mayonnaise.
– Pato con peras. Duck with pears
– Calçots amb salsa romesc. Grilled spring onions with a mediterranean sauce
– All i oli. Garlic maionnaise
– Crema catalana. Similar to créme brulée
– Mel i mató. Soft cheese with honey