The Cathedral of Barcelona
The construction of the Cathedral of Barcelona began in the year 1289. It is formed by a nave and two aisles of four bays and an apse with an abulatory that is covered by an ogive vault. The nave and aisles have four sections and an octagonal dome rests on the section nearest the main façade. The side chapels along one section were eliminated to define two entrance areas from which the two bel-towers rise. Its spectacular façade is in fact a later addition, dating from the end of the 19th century. In the Neogothic style, it was designed by Josep Oriol Mestres and August Font. Inside the building, the most interesting feature is the Chapter House, now called the Chapel of the Holy Christ of Lepanto or Chapel of St Oleguer, which contains a wooden image of Christ from the 16th century and a recumbent statue of the saint.
The Chapel of Santa Llúcia, a transitional Romanesque church builg shortly before the construction of the Cathedral began, is nof found on one side of the Cathedral, forming an inte3gral part of it. The cloister should not be missed. It stands out for the vegetation of its garden, its basin and its fountain, which the ritual of the “Dancing Egg” takes place each year. This is when an egg is placed atop the jet of water and remains there, bobbing up and down, held in place by the pressure of the water.
The Cathedral of Barcelona is about 10 minutes walk from the Hotel Duquesa de Cardona Barcelona